Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Interview: Anastasia Hopcus

I am so excited to welcome the talented and beautiful Anastasia Hopcus to the blog today.  In case you are not familiar, her book, Shadow Hills was released in July of 2010.  It was an exciting story, you can read a book summary and my review here.  On with the interview...

1. What was the most challenging part of writing Shadow Hills?
AH: It was probably the structure of the book. There were a lot of events that led to other things happening or that related back to an earlier scene, and I had to make sure that I got everything in the right order and that the timeline worked, especially when I started the major rewrite of Shadow Hills. I'm not the most organized person to begin with, and there I was, drawing out timelines and re-arranging index cards and trying to keep it all straight.

2. Your love of Horror films is evident in Shadow Hills. I had to double check under the bed and in the closet after reading. Do you have any favorite horror flicks?
AH: I have so many! I love bad cheesy horror movies. My friends and I use to rent them and watch three or four in a row at sleep-overs. But I also love classics like The Omen. The Evil Dead series is another staple. And since I mentioned the Bruce Campbell flicks, I feel compelled to add Bubba Ho-tep, which is this oddball film in which Bruce Campbell plays Elvis, who didn't really die but just dropped out of sight and is now living in a nursing home in east Texas. Another of my favorites is Severance. It's British, and I'm not sure how well known it is in the US. It has a lot of humor, and the characters are likeable, which makes it more upsetting when they die. But it makes the story more involving, too. Considering more recent movies, I also really enjoyed The Uninvited and Paranormal Activity.

3. In your book, Phe goes to the prepatory school after reading a mysterious diary entry. What mysterious place would you like to visit some day?
AH: Ooh. I love mysterious places. I think the one I'd most like to see would be Newgrange in Ireland. It's the site that's talked about in Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready, an ancient tomb-like structure that's ringed by megaliths. It sounded very cool and powerful and otherworldly.

4. What 5 items would you put in a time capsule for future generations?
AH: I tried to think of things that would be indicative of the culture we're living in now. So I picked:

1. A DVD of the movie Juno. It really resonated with people, and it seemed to me to bring a different outlook on teen-age unwed mothers.

2. A DVD of the movie The Hangover. Bromances have been very popular in movies in recent years, and I thought this was one of the best examples.

3. A copy of Beautiful Creatures. This is a good example of the paranormal romantic YA novels, and I thought its depiction of teen-agers very realistic.

4. A DVD of the TV series House. This show is popular and in my opinion the best of the recent series that feature an eccentric person who has difficulty relating to other people, but who solves mysteries (in this case, medical mysteries) through his or her superior intelligence or talent. It also features, as I think the two movies do, humor that is more sarcastic as opposed to much of the humor popular in the 1990's, which seemed to focus on gross-out humor.

5. A copy of The Walking Dead comic book. Comic books just seem to get more and more popular, not only as things to read, but also as movies.

Anastasia, thank you for taking the time to visit us today and congrats on your book!

Want more Anastasia? You can find her at her website, blog, or the tour bus will stop at The True Book Addict  tomorrow.  Shadow Hills can be purchased by following this link to Amazon.

10 comments:

GMR said...

Wonderful intereview...really enjoyed the questions AND answers. The time capsule contents are interesting...a lot of movies and books but then again they DO speak of the times they were created so definitely fits. Haven't read this book myself, but I have heard wonderful things about it....thanks for much for sharing! Happy reading....

Elie said...

GMR, thanks for stopping by. You will love Shadow Hills, it is an exciting story.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

What an awesome array of time capsule bits! I love it.

And kudos to you Elie for the great question :)

I really must read this soon.

Jillian said...

Really great interview questions! I can't wait to read this book; it just looks sooo good!

BookMarc Blogpants said...

Enjoyed the interview but where's her phone number?!? :)

Tara SG (25 Hour Books) said...

Great interview! I cannot wait to start this book!

Darlyn said...

Wonderful interview!I too cant wait to start reading her book!

Elie said...

BookMarc Blogpants...LOL, I know isn't she beautiful!!

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

Great interview! I have yet to read Shadow Hills (I need to fix this, stat) and I didn't realize there was any sort of horror mixed in, so I'm even more eager to finally pick it up.

Anonymous said...

buy somas online carisoprodol 350mg tablets used - buy generic soma online

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.