Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Kidz Korner (11)

OK, so I have not done a Kidz Korner post in a while.  A long while.  February to be exact.  But since I read soooo many kids books, here it is again.  I am sure you know a little one who might enjoy this book. 

The 39 Clues: Maze of Bones
Book One by Rick Riordan

Minutes before she died Grace Cahill changed her will, leaving her descendants an impossible decision: "You have a choice - one million dollars or a clue."

Grace is the last matriarch of the Cahills, the world's most powerful family. Everyone from Napoleon to Houdini is related to the Cahills, yet the source of the family power is lost. 39 clues hidden around the world will reveal the family's secret, but no one has been able to assemble them. Now the clues race is on, and young Amy and Dan must decide what's important: hunting clues or uncovering what REALLY happened to their parents. (summary from Goodreads).
My thoughts...I read this book orally with my 6 year old, who is a very proficient reader for his age.  This is the start to an very exciting series.  My only frustration was that I had to stick to the chapter or two a day rule, because he did not want me to read without him.  Each chapter dripped with suspense and mystery and I wanted to keep reading.  The two main characters, young Amy and Dan embark on an adventure that is as much dangerous as it is exciting.  Parts of the book were intense, borderline scary for my son, but he just curled tighter into my arm and said "Keep reading Mama.". 

The best part of the book for me as a parent and a teacher has been the infusion of history and geography.  We purchased a large world map and we tracked the characters from Boston to Philadelphia to another international destination.  Benjamin Franklin also played a role in the story.  We took the opportunity to learn more about his inventions and his life.  This is a great series for independent readers and for a read along with a parent.  This is great for boy or girls.  It is a PG rated story, fun for all everyone.  We have already started book two, One False Note. 

The Maze of Bones is available for purchase at Barnes and Noble.  For more fun, visit the 39Clues website.

4 comments:

Beverly said...

Love this series too! I have kids as old as grade eight who still are interested in it - still reading the books and playing the games on-line as well as collecting the cards! Have fun with it!

Jill of The O.W.L. said...

My daughter LOVES this series. She can't wait for the last book to come out. I read the first book to my 7th graders and they really enjoyed it. They all wanted to know what branch of the family they belonged to :)

Kathy Martin said...

Like Bev said! The website is fun too. I try to do the missions but I need a student to play the games for me. I am currently stuck on Mission 9 because I just don't understand what I'm supposed to do in the game. ;-( I guess I need to be getting my 4 copies of the 10th book so that I can put 2 in each of my media centers. Happy reading!

Elie said...

Thanks for the comments. I did not know about the website until recently. More fun things to check out! What a great series.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.