Thursday, August 26, 2010

YA review: Halo

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto
August 31, 2010

Nothing much happens in the sleepy town of Venus Cove. But everything changes when three angels are sent from heaven to protect the town against the gathering forces of darkness: Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, a teenage girl who is the least experienced of the trio. They work hard to conceal their true identity and, most of all, their wings. But the mission is threatened when the youngest angel, Bethany, is sent to high school and falls in love with the handsome school captain, Xavier Woods. Will she defy the laws of Heaven by loving him? Things come to a head when the angels realize they are not the only supernatural power in Venus Cove. There′s a new kid in town and he′s charming, seductive and deadly. Worst of all, he′s after Beth. (summary from goodreads)

My thoughts...Adornetto shares a fresh face with fans of Angel stories.  Halo is romantic and captivating, I can't wait for more. 

Three Angels are sent to Earth to diffuse some of the evil prospering in the quiet town of Venus Cove.  Bethany, the youngest of the three is the closest to being human and therefore is more susceptible to the temptations of Earth, including the handsome school captain.  Readers experience her emotions and discoveries as she fumbles through her new home, trying to fit in with her schoolmates.  While she makes some questionable decisions that may leave readers shaking their heads, her character shows considerable growth by the end of the book.

Halo is almost 600 pages long.  While it looks daunting, it reads very quickly.  I was quickly entranced by Adornetto's writing style and pulled into the story.  The story is not filled with violence and war, it is more of a love story.  I found the story's plot to be very original and it held plenty of potential for future books.  Book two, Hades (early 2011) is on my wish list.  I would recommend this book for fans of Angel stories. 

Be sure to visit Alexandra Adornetto on her facebook page.  Visit Amazon to order your copy of Halo.  In the meantime, check out the book trailer. 

6 comments:

pirate penguin said...

I JUST saw this one at B&N and it looked gorgeous in all its hardcovered glory. The story sounds beautiful. Nice review :)

Danny said...

First, I adore this cover and Second I love Angel stories!
I'm glad you like it, I will definitely read it!

Gosh, the trailer is awesome!!

Jillian said...

Ahhhh prettiest cover I've seen.. I would buy this book just to stare at it! My friends laugh at me for it, but I think you know what I mean :D

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

600? I had no idea. Thanks for the great review.

Alexander Bennett (Tales of a Teenage Book Lover) said...

This one looks great! I can't wait to read it!

Tara SG (25 Hour Books) said...

I honestly wasn't going to read this one, but now I'm thinking I should add it to my TBR. Thanks for the review!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.