Tuesday, August 17, 2010

YA review: The Short Second Life Of Bree Tanner

Bree Tanner can barely remember life before she had uncannily powerful senses, superhuman reflexes and unstoppable physical strength. Life before she had a relentless thirst for blood... life before she became a vampire.


All Bree knows is that living with her fellow newborns has few certainties and even fewer rules: watch your back, don't draw attention to yourself and, above all, make it home by sunrise or die. What she doesn't know: her time as an immortal is quickly running out.


Then Bree finds an unexpected friend in Diego, a newborn just as curious as Bree about their mysterious creator, whom they know only as "her". As they come to realize that the newborns are pawns in a game larger than anything they could have imagined, Bree and Diego must choose sides and decide whom to trust. But when everything you know about vampires is based on a lie, how do you find the truth?(summary from goodreads)
My thoughts...As a fan of the Twilight series, I enjoyed this novella.  It really showed a different side of the vampire story.  The flip side is dark, scary, and evil.  The vampires are fighting for survival, status, and food.  Even though I knew how the story was going to end, I was reluctant to get there.  While short and to the point, this novella kept me interested and turning pages. 

Fans of the Twilight Saga will remember Bree from the books.  This novella tells of her short second life.  What I found interesting, was the new vampires' lack of knowledge.  It was fun to learn with them what their strengths and weakness were.  As with the Twilight Saga, Meyer did a great job of describing experiences through the vampire's eyes.  Aside from Bree, we also meet two other interesting characters, Diego and Fred.  Fred, who quickly became my favorite, has a special talent that comes in handy.  I would love to see his story developed. 

Overall, this quick read will give fans another look into the world of Twilight.  Don't expect to read about your favorite characters, but look forward to seeing the darker side of Stephanie Meyer's writing.

For more information, visit Stephanie Meyer at her website.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

this sounds cute, though perhaps not quite my cup of tea :) great review!

Kaitlyn (Kaitlyn in Bookland) said...

I just couldn't get into this one. After the lines "Hulk.... SMASH!" and "cheeseburger of pain" I couldn't do it anymore. I did skip and read the end though.

Darlyn said...

I have not read this one yet since last won from a blog. Thanks for the review!

GABY said...

I also enjoyed this one, and I wasn't expecting that!

Carina said...

I liked this one enough, thought it was cute but not great.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

I need to pick this up :)

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.