Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Interview: Sophie Jordan

Today, September 7, 2010, is the official release day of Firelight by Author Sophie Jordan.  She was kind enough to drop by and answer a few questions. 

1. Please tell us about your Young Adult debut Firelight.
SJ: Well, the summary does that best:

Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet of her kind, she nearly pays with her life, only to be spared by a beautiful stranger sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki--a descendant of dragons whose ability to shift into human form is her best defense.

Forced to flee into the mortal world, Jacinda struggles to adapt. The one bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irrestibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away - if it dies she will be left a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.

2. Breathing fire is an awesome ability. Jacinda must be pretty tough. How would you describe her?
SJ: Well, she is tough. As the most coveted/prized member of her pride, she’s an incredibly tough character. She’s had to be. And that has nothing to do necessarily with being a fire-breather but as a result of it. Although I’m not denying that breathing fire is a seriously kick-butt super power.

She’s constantly fighting pressure from others and battling for her independence more than just an average teenager would. While the battle to discover/claim oneself is a pretty normal struggle for a teen, Jacinda’s struggle is heightened because she’s the last fire-breather of her pride – the last in generations. Unless she resists, she’ll be used, manipulated … even forced to mate all because of her draki talent.

3. You are a New York Times Bestselling Author. Having penned historical romances and paranormal romances for adults, was it hard to make the leap to writing for young adults?
SJ: Romance is the core thread in all my writing … and my voice pretty much remains the same (I think!). So in a weird way, the move to YA wasn’t such a leap. Historical Romance, Para Romance, YA … none of it feels that different to me. There’s always some steamy boy/girl interaction in anything I write, so I find it all enjoyable.

4. What are you working on now? More books in the Firelight series?
SJ:Yes, right now I’m finishing up the second book in the Firelight series … title and cover to be revealed shortly. Stay tuned!

5. If you had a rare ability like Jacinda, what would it be?
SJ: I don’t know if I’ve created a draki ability/talent to suit me yet. Maybe I’ll have to work on one. Although I love the water. It would be lovely to be a water draki like the draki character Az in Firelight who has the ability to remain underwater for however long she wants – essentially like a fish or mermaid.

6. I read you are a huge horror flick fan. What is you all time favorite horror movie(s).
 SJ: Tough choice! I’m a big Alfred Hitchcock fan. LOVE Rear Window. But I also love zombie flicks. 28 Days Later is probably my favorite horror film. As much as I love horror, I don’t go for slasher movies.

7. Lastly, what 5 things would you bury in a time capsule for future generations?
SJ: 1. Hmm, a copy of Firelight, of course.

2. Probably one of my daughter’s drawings – she drew an excellent picture of a fire-breathing dragon for me. It’s beautiful and raw and innocent.

3. Night by Elie Wiesel. Everyone should read this book.

4. A box of Ding Dongs (b/c they remind me of my childhood)

5. And I’ll cheat a little here because it’s really two: a copy of both the book and movie of To Kill A Mockingbird.
 
Sophie, congratulations on your new release, it is a wonderfully original story. 
 
For more information about Sophie and her books, visit her website.  The wait is over!  Follow this link to order your copy from Amazon

4 comments:

Nely said...

What a great interview. I have been dying to get my hands on Firelight since I never got an ARC. I'm buying the first chance I get to go shopping. :D

Dottie (Tink's Place) said...

Hi Ellz and Sophie!

Always nice to learn more about the authors we love!

Can't wait to read Firelight! I've been hearing wonderful things around the blogosphere.

Dottie :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Awesome interview. I can't wait to read this.

I think I would totally add Twinkies to my time capsule :)

LLL Reviews said...

Ack, I am craving ding dings now but I am still in my PJs and went on a wicked hike yesterday so I am trying to not crave the goodies!!=) LOL!!

Love the review and Love Firelight!=)

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.