Tuesday, September 7, 2010

YA review: Firelight

A HIDDEN TRUTH

MORTAL ENEMIES

DOOMED LOVE

Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet of her kind, she nearly pays with her life, only to be spared by a beautiful stranger sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki--a descendant of dragons whose ability to shift into human form is her best defense.

Forced to flee into the mortal world, Jacinda struggles to adapt. The one bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away - if it dies she will be left a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.

Mythical powers and irresistible passion ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide ... (summary from author's website)
My thoughts...I loved this story.  Sophie Jordan offers readers a fresh voice in young adult paranormal literature.  This magical tale of the Draki will have you sitting on the edge of your seat hoping there is a happy ending for everyone. 

Jacinda, the heroine of the story, is a female descendant of dragons.  She is able to breathe fire, which is a trait that is rarely found in the Draki.  Because of this her pride wants to control her and decide her future, her Mom has other ideas.  Jacinda is an incredible heroine.  Readers will find themselves drawn to her strength, devotion, and her ability to handle tough situations.  Firelight also offers readers some other memorable characters such as Will, the hunter, Azure, the water Draki, and Will's cousins.  Several of them are guaranteed to leave a bad taste in your mouth. 

Firelight starts off fast-paced and doesn't let up until the end.  Jordan does of brilliant job of writing action scenes that leave the reader breathless.  This story is one of a forbidden love, one with an impossible ending.  Will is a hunter.  He is trained to kill Jacinda's kind.  Her best defense is shifting to human form, but it presents a whole new set of problems.  She has to make some hard decisions that will not only effect her, but her family. 

I have to say that I was skeptical at first about the Draki.  I imagined them as shifting into huge firebreathing beasts with skin like a lizard.  Jordan's creatures were beautiful and I was enchanted by their grace and magic.  I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy paranormal young adult.  You will not be disappointed. 

For more information, including purchase links, visit Sophie Jordan at her website.  Read my interview with Sophie by following this link.

CymLowell

5 comments:

Faye said...

I finished this book yesterday. I really enjoyed.It was something different. I think the real Bad Boy is Xander.

Danny said...

I'm totally dying to read this book after I read only good reviews of it!

I love the concept of the book and it sounds totally refreshing and new!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Ooooooooooooooo sounds awesome. I can't wait to read it.
*happy dance*

shmyshmy said...

Adding to my to-read list.

Tara SG (25 Hour Books) said...

I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. I didn't hate it or anything. I just wasn't a huge fan of Will. That and the ending was too much of a cliffhanger in my opinion. I hated her sister and mother and don't think I'd care to stay with them or save them if I was Jacinda :/

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.