Sunday, October 31, 2010

Review: Double Cross

Justine Jones has lived her life as a fearful hypochondriac until she's lured into the web of a mysterious mastermind named Packard. He gifts her with extraordinary mental powers-dooming her to fight Midcity's shadowy war on paranormal crime in order to find the peace she so desperately craves.

But now, serial killers with unheard-of skills are terrorizing the most powerful beings in Midcity, including mastermind Packard - and his oldest friend and worst enemy, Midcity's new mayor, who has the ability to bend matter itself to his will.

As the body count grows, Justine faces a crisis of conscience as she tests the limits of her new powers and faces an impossible choice between two flawed but brilliant men . . . one on a journey of redemption, and the other descending into a pit of moral depravity. (summary from goodreads)
My thoughts....Double Cross took me on a wild ride and left me breathless.  The beginning set me on the edge of my seat, the middle left me questioning my values, and the end...it left me screaming for more. 

Let me begin by telling you to start at the beginning.  This is book two in the Disillusionment series, book one is titled Mind Games.  Written with creative elegance, Carolyn Crane's characters will draw you into her world and keep you entertained through the entire book.  Justine is a fierce heroine.  In Double Cross she really questions her life as a disillusionist and looks for someone to blame for her situation.  The equation is simple...bad guys get rebooted and a start a new life, or is it that simple?  All of my favorite characters were back in action, as well as a few new ones.  Justine really has some issues with her love life, but things do get steamy from time to time. 

Double Cross was ones of those books I had trouble putting down.  The action was continuous and the writing was phenomenal. The premise for the series shines with originality and creativity.  The ending of Double Cross still has me speechless.  It left me shocked and dazed.  I cannot wait for book three.  Carolyn Crane is one of my favorite authors and I highly recommend her books. 

For more information, visit Carolyn Crane at her website.  To order your copy of Mind Games or Double Cross, follow this link!

3 comments:

Debbie's World of Books said...

Great review! I just added Mind Games to my wish list. It didn't sound too great when I looked at it at the bookstore but your review really makes me want to check it out.

Book ♥ Soulmates said...

I've been noticing that this book is getting great reviews. I've never read anything by this author, but I think I need to add her to my TBR :)

Thanks for the great review!
♥Isalys

Amber Scott said...

I can't agree with you more. I love the writing and premise. I cannot WAIT for the third (more please) in the series.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.