Thursday, November 11, 2010

YA review: Matched

In the Society, Officials decide. Who you love. Where you work. When you die.

Cassia has always trusted their choices. It’s barely any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one . . . until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she’s known and a path no one else has ever dared follow—between perfection and passion.

Matched is a story for right now and storytelling with the resonance of a classic. (summary from goodreads)
My thoughts...I loved this story. I have not read many dystopian novels, but as this number grows, Matched will be one of my favorites.  This story took me through a roller coaster of emotions from scared to extremely sad.  The writing is top notch and the plot kept me enraptured. 

Matched takes place in a society where your life is dictated by Officials.  While it sounds like a crazy concept, Ally Condie made it seem very believable.  The Officials control everything from what you eat, where you work, whom you marry, and how you die.  The whole concept was quite scary, and it made me appreciate the small freedoms we have now.  The heroine in the story, Cassia, is faced with a dilemma when her matched partner card doesn't show what it should. She should be matched with her life long friend, but she was given the information of another boy, the mysterious outcast. 

Read this book!  Ally Condie has written a fantastic novel that will leave you wanting more, especially with the cliffhanger ending!

For more information, including purchase links, visit Ally Condie at her website. 

*This arc was provided by the publisher for my opinion. 

6 comments:

Morgan said...

This book sounds really intense! I'm really looking forward to read Matched, now! Thanks for the review :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

O
Sounds good.
I can't wait to pick it off my shelf. Maybe after the new year.
Great review.

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

Dystopians have really become one of my favorite types of books to read and I'm very excited for this one. I've seen some mixed reviews, but I'm still anxiously awaiting November 30th, so I can read this one for myself.

Tara SG (25 Hour Books) said...

Wow another great review for this book. I think I need to get my hands on it!

miss cindy :) said...

I've heard mixed reviews on this one, but I think I want to read it. Great review :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Just finished it. LOVE this review. So true. I can not wait for the next book.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.