Thursday, November 18, 2010

YA review: The Mockingbirds

Some schools have honor codes.



Others have handbooks.

Themis Academy has the Mockingbirds.

Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way--the Themis Way. So when Alex is date raped during her junior year, she has two options: stay silent and hope someone helps her, or enlist the Mockingbirds--a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of their fellow peers.

In this honest, page-turning account of a teen girl's struggle to stand up for herself, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that if you love something or someone--especially yourself--you fight for it. (summary from goodreads)
My thoughts...Teenagers, young adults, parents, teachers, librarians, read this book! This book talks about the sensitive subject of date rape. It would be a great segway into a discussion about preventing or dealing with such a tragedy. 

Whether you are talking about it or reading about it, this is a hard subject to breach.  Daisy Whitney does a brilliant job of writing  about it.  The girl's story is believable.  The emotions she deals with feel genuine as do her reactions. 

While this book made an impact on me, I had several small issues with the book.  First were some of the characters were very shallow.  Secondly, was the adults in the story.  They were constantly turning a blind eye and not taking care of their students.  Lastly was the lack of police involvement.  Date rape is a crime.  The heroine, Alex, chooses not to go to the police, but rather a secret society within her school.  I understand that this is part of the plot.  This society, The Mockingbirds, are at the heart of this story.  I also understand why Alex didn't seek adult or legal help immediately.  She felt shameful and at fault for the rape.  However my interpretation of the book was that it wanted to convey a message rather than just a story.  Not all victims have the benefit of a strong peer group to guide them or protect them.  There is no shame in seeking help and often times adults or the law provides the best assistance.

Overall, I enjoyed The Mockingbirds.  Daisy Whitney is a strong writer and I look forward to more of her books in the future. 

For more information, visit Daisy Whitney at her blog.  Purchase your copy of The Mockingbirds by following the goodreads links.

6 comments:

♫♥LovLivLife Reviews♥♫ said...

I enjoyed this title as well. In my review I dont think I mentioned that some of the story didn't seem very realistic over all. The setting is great for boarding school or college. However, most teens attend public school and like you mention dont have a secret society to help police students.


I was even more so impacted when I learned that the author had gone through a similar ordeal. She is the pillar of strength and someone teens should look up to when looking for hope and inspiration after horrid crimes against them.


Here is my review:
http://lll808.blogspot.com/2010/10/arc-review-mockingbirds-by-daisy.html

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Great review. I'm still on the fence about this one :)

Lisa R/alterlisa said...

Yeah, this is one that has been a "Maybe" for me.

alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com

Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

Adding this to my wishlist now! This seems like an amazing book. Loved your review. Heading over to Goodreads now...

Melissa said...

I agree wholeheartedly with your review. I think it's poignant and meaningful, as well as well-written, but I definitely felt some characters were too blah and iffy for me :)

Misty said...

I really need to read this. I did a teaser of the beginning awhile back, and I loved how it started. Really pulled me in, but I was in the middle of something else, with a big pile of *other* something elses waiting, so I haven't read it yet. But soon, I think.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.