Tuesday, November 2, 2010

YA review: Passing Strange


Karen DeSonne always passed as a normal (if pale) teenager; with her friends, with her family, and at school. Passing cost her the love of her life. And now that Karen’s dead, she’s still passing—this time, as alive. Karen DeSonne just happens to be an extremely human-like zombie. Meanwhile, Karen’s dead friends have been fingered in a high-profile murder, causing a new round of antizombie regulations that have forced them into hiding. Karen soon learns that the “murder” that destroyed their non-life was a hoax, staged by Pete Martinsburg and his bioist zealots. Obtaining enough evidence to expose the fraud and prove her friends’ innocence means doing the unthinkable: becoming Pete’s girlfriend. Karen’s only hope is that the enemy never realizes who she really is—because the consequences would be worse than death. (summary from goodreads)

My thoughts...Passing Strange is the third book in the Generation Dead series.  I did not read the first two books, Generation Dead or Kiss Of Life, prior to starting this one.  I was able to grasp the storyline relatively quickly and got a good understanding of the zombie world.  Reading the other two books may have given me a stronger attachment to the other characters in the story, as I am sure their story lines were developed in previous installments.  However, the heroine in Passing Strange, Karen, was well written and easy to like.  She seemed very genuine, despite her condition and believable.  She is the type of person who puts others before herself.  My favorite character in the story was Tak, he was very original. 

I am not a fan of zombie stories.  I don't do the gore well, however Passing Strange was not overrun with rotting flesh, flopping eyeballs, and dragging arms.  While there were some graphic descriptions, it was not as gory as I expected.  While I did find the storyline interesting, it did not keep me on the edge of my seat.  However, I think if I would have started at the beginning of the series, I would have been more invested in the characters.  There is a bit of a mystery to Karen that could be developed more and I will be curious to see if Daniel Waters develops her character more thoroughly.  I would not describe this book as a love story,but I do see the potential for one in a future book. 

For more information, including purchase links, visit Daniel Waters at his blog. 

*This book was provided for my honest review by the publisher. 

5 comments:

Cari said...

I'm surprised that the cover doesn't look like the previous books. I have the first one on my shelf but haven't gotten around to it. I'll have to move this up my list.

Thanks!

Elie said...

I believe this is the UK cover.

Melissa said...

I have to admit that the first book REALLY turned me off the series, but it's nice to hear the third book wasn't horrid haha perhaps one day I'll try the other books :)

Great review!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Not for me, but loved your review.

@lex said...

I'm planning on reading the first book in the series for my book club, so I hope it isn't bad! :)

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.