Friday, December 31, 2010

YA review: Impossible (mini-review)

Lucy Scarborough is only 17, but she carries the burden of a curse that has already struck down several women in her family. Each of her afflicted ancestors failed at completing three seemingly impossible tasks, and each succumbed to madness at the birth of her first child. Facing this tragic fate, Lucy braces herself for a losing battle. Mercifully, she has allies in her struggle: intensely sympathetic foster parents and her loyal childhood friend Zach. (summary from goodreads)
My thoughts...Using an old ballad, Scarborough Fair, Nancy Werlin has written a crafty story filled with riddles and a bit of romance.

I enjoyed the use of the ballad in the plot of this story. The characters had to use their creativity to solve the riddle and complete the tasks. Lucy was a strong heroine, she persevered where others woud truely have given up. I loved Zach as the hero. He is the kind of character you just want to hug. Lucy has a wonderful support system, all of the characters added something to the story.

Impossible really has me guessing and worrying about the main character. She seems to be in an impossible situation and I truely could not tell if it was going to have a happy ending or not.  Occasionally the story did lag for me, but not enough for me to stop reading or thinking about the characters.

Overall, I enjoyed the story. It was a nice change from my usual reads.

For more information, including purchase links, visit Nancy Werlin at her website.

0 comments:

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.