Thursday, January 6, 2011

YA review: Across The Universe

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.


Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone--one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship--tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.


Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.(summary from goodreads)

My thoughts...Across The Universe is a very original story that will take readers on an imaginative journey.

Life in other galaxies. The end of the world. The demise of our planet. These are all scenarios that most of us have imagined at one point or another. For the characters in Across The Universe, scenarios similar to this are not that far from reality.

As mentioned in the book summary, the book begins with young Amy being frozen in preparation for her journey that will take 300 years. The description of this process had me nearly gasping for air. It was very intense and anyone with even mild claustrophobia should be warned. The story kicks in when Amy finds herself woken 50 years early only to discover that the ship has not landed yet.

Amy quickly has to learn about the ship's leaders, rules, residents, procedures in order to fit into this new world. She meets some interesting characters, some honest, some not.

I do not want to divulge any secrets so I will be brief. This was a great book. It was a refreshing change with a strong voice. The story offered mystery, fear, intensity, and a thought provoking storyline.  The story had plenty of twists and turns to keep me guessing and turning pages. 

 My only qualm was the romance.  I knew the characters were interested in each other, but I had a hard time connecting them in my mind. I hope for a sequel where the relationship can be further developed.

For more information, visit Beth Revis at her really cool website.

*This book was provided by the publisher for my honest review.

12 comments:

Mariya said...

great review. I can't wait to read this book =D

Melissa said...

This sounds amazing, though I've heard the romance did lack something, much like you said. Great review, Elie! :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

I'm reading this one next. *happy dance*

Tribute Books Mama said...

I enjoyed this great review! thanks

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I enjoyed this one and thought it was a fun book too. Glad you enjoyed it. Nice review. Yea... the romance was okay, but not too bad. :)

Alex Bennett said...

I so cannot wait to read!

Jenny N. said...

I got offered ACU for review so hopefully I will get it soon. Can't wait to read this book myself :)

Book Monster said...

I so want to read this!! Your the second person I've seen who said it's good :)

Nina said...

Great review. I really want to read this asap. :) The cover is so beautiful!

Debbie's World of Books said...

I loved this and I was glad there wasn't more romance. I thought it was better that way.

brandileigh2003 said...

I kinda like that romance was only a sub-plot but now that appetite is wet, I want more in the sequel too :)
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Jessica Lawlor said...

I'm glad you liked this one for the most part. I've been debating whether or not to pick it up, and think I may give it a try now.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.