Wednesday, January 12, 2011

YA review: Crave

Crave (Crave #1)
by Melinda Metz & Laura J. Burns
September 2010
Shay has had a rare blood disorder since she was born. In fact, her mother married one of Shay’s doctors, Martin, who left his world-renowned leukemia research to try and figure out exactly what the disorder is and how to cure it. When she turns seventeen, Martin begins to give her new blood transfusions that make her feel the strongest she has ever felt. But she also has odd visions where she sees through the eyes of a vampire. (goodreads)

My thoughts...One word for you: CLIFFHANGER. Not your average run of the mill cliffhanger either, I am talking DROPOFF. Good thing the next book comes out in September of 2011!

Crave is an original story with an unexpected twist. The story is told from two points-of-view. First we meet Shay, a young girl with a disableling blood disorder. She spends most of her days in bed, or receiving blood transfusions to stay alive. After getting a new blood treatment, she begins having visions of a boy named Gabriel. With each transfusion, she experiences life through him.  Gabriel is a strong character, he seems very complex and he is absolutely adorable too. 

In the beginning of the book, some parts were are bit confusing. The transitions between reality and visions left me a bit disoriented, especially because Gabriel's story were told out of order and they were fragmented. The ending was very abrupt. While I am glad I read this book, I would recommend waiting until book two is released and reading them together. This first book in the Crave series does reveal an interesting twist and it ends in absolute turmoil, so I am sure book two is going to be great.

Overall, I really enjoyed Crave. It is original, creative, and definitely leaves you Craving more.

For more information, including purchase links, visit the authors at their official site.

6 comments:

Jacinda said...

When I read this a couple months back, I couldn't find anything about book #2, thanks for posting about it!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

I think I need to check this out. Great review :)

Theresa M said...

I just bought this book not too long ago. For some reason I thought it was a stand-alone novel though. I haven't read it yet, but maybe I'll wait for the sequel like you recommended. Cliffhangers drive me crazy!

Miss Remmers said...

This looks like an awesome read! What a great review!

Book Monster said...

I really want to read this now :) Thanks for the great review XD

Christie (The Fiction Enthusiast) said...

This sounds unique. Now I’m intrigued even though I love to hate the cliffhanger :) Thanks for the great review!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.