Thursday, January 13, 2011

YA review: The Demon Trapper's Daughter

Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on…


Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps. The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.


But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood. And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life? (goodreads)

My thoughts...I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I am going to be brief.

This is a great start to an exciting, fresh, YA series. This first book in the series introduces us to Riley, a young demon trapper who lives and trains with her legendary father. We also meet Beck, who is also an apprentice of Riley's father. Riley is a strong heroine, she is determined, dedicated, and tough. Aside from those admirable qualities, she has a soft side that makes her believable. I look forward to her growth in future books.

While The Demon Trappers Daughter was not non-stop action, there were some impressive fight scenes.  Readers really get a taste of the life of the trappers, and it isn't all pretty. There is quite a bit of world building that sets the scene for the rest of the series. Oliver did a brilliant job of describing the world, while keeping me entertained. I loved the mix of demons, hunters, and other paranormals such as witches. The characters often visit a marketplace for unusual and magical items. I just wanted to jump in and go exploring. The whole world was very enticing.

Overall, I loved this book. I will be reading the rest of the series.

For more information, including purchase links, visit Jana Oliver at her website.

7 comments:

Miss Remmers said...

This looks like an interesting read!

Kristen said...

This is a book I'd love to get my hands on. Thanks for the review, I love some action in my novels, and this one sounds great!

Donna said...

I pre-ordered a copy from The Book Depo and I received it yesterday!! I'm very excited about reading this, thanks for the terrific review. Will be digging in soon.

Michelle said...

It sounds really good. Glad to hear the positive review! :)

Jenny N. said...

I've been looking forward to this one and good to see a favorable for it.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Sounds good but was it scary at all? :)

Misty said...

This one's on my to-read list, but I've been unsure where to put it. Think I'm going to bump it up. :D

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.