Tuesday, January 25, 2011

YA review: Hexbound

Lily Parker is new to St. Sophia’s School for Girls, but she’s already learned that magic can be your best friend…or your worst enemy.

They say absolute power corrupts absolutely. Turns out, even a little magic can turn you to the dark side. That’s why Lily has to learn how to control her newly discovered paranormal abilities, on top of avoiding the snobs who think they run her school, nursing a crush on a cute sophomore with a big, werewolf-y secret, and fighting the good fight with her best friend Scout as they take on Chicago’s nastiest nightlife—including the tainted magic users known as Reapers.

Then Lily’s invited to a private meeting with Sebastian. He’s hot, powerful, and offering to help her harness the magic flowing in her veins in a way no one else can. He’s also a Reaper. Lily can’t hide her suspicions. But she’ll soon find out that the line between good and evil isn’t always clear…(goodreads)

My thoughts...Book two in the Dark Elite series brings us back with the characters from Firespell.  Lily is still working on developing her magic and a relationship with a very warm-blooded boy from a neighboring school. Readers are introduced to new characters and my favorite part, new magic. Along with new magic of course comes new enemies and new dangers. Also, Hexbound does quite a bit more world building.


Cons...While I enjoyed reading Hexbound, I had several issues with it. First was the predictability. I quickly solved the mystery and occasionally grew frustrated when the clues were very obvious to the characters. Secondly, I was really hoping for more development with the relationship between Lily and Sebastian. His intentions were very unclear and his character was very mysterious. I am hoping to learn more in future books.


Overall, I enjoyed Hexbound. The series reminds me a lot of Rachel Caine's Morganville series in that the books are quick reads, almost like episodes. Each book offers readers a peek into the world and enough of a hook to keep you wanting more. I will be watching for the next book in November of 2011.

For more infomation, find Chloe on Goodreads or at her webpage.

3 comments:

Jenny N. said...

I haven't read this yet but I will soon. Now aI'm a bit scared because of some of the cons you listed.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Great review :) I need to check this out.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Sad to hear about the predictability though ;)

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.