Tuesday, January 18, 2011

YA Review: Human Blend

Marion, Virginia seemed like a nice place to live a normal life, but she is not a normal girl. Laney has special abilities that keep her looking over her shoulder as she makes her escape from the men who had kidnapped her. A young doctor's interest is piqued when he witnesses her mysteriously curing a young child's illness. He befriends her due to his growing fascination with uncovering the true nature of her abilities, but not without harboring secrets of his own. Laney's budding relationship with a local boy puts both of them in danger when the men she was hiding from find her. All of their lives will change forever as ancient secrets become unearthed.(goodreads)

My thoughts...Author Lori Pescatore is a fresh face in the world of paranormal authors. She introduces readers to an exciting new world of mysterious beings.

Human Blend is a very original story of a girl who is hiding from her past. The heroine Laney, changes her identity and tries to make a new life in a small town in Virgina. Unfortunately for her, this is not as easy as it sounds.

Laney has the special ability to heal illness and pain in others.  Her character is very multi-dimensional.  I noticed a very strong, determined side of her, but also a side that has seen the dark side too many times. There are several other characters that are memorable, including a kind doctor and the gentle Austin.  I had a hard time deciding which one I liked better.

The story is written with a great blend of mystery, action, romance, and suspense. For me, the best part of the story was the introduction of some new paranoramal beings. Their inclusion felt believable. There are also plenty of twists and turns to keep readers guessing. The ending will definitely leave you wanting more.

If I would have seen this book on the shelf, I would have passed it up. I am not bowled over by the cover or the title.  Fortunately, I saw several great reviews that spurred me to read it.  I was not disappointed and I definitely recommend this book to fans of YA paranormal books!

For more information, visit Lori Pescatore at facebook or fan her on goodreads.
*Nook readers- this is listed for only $2.99 @Barnes & Noble
*Kindle readers- $1.99 on Amazon
What a deal!
CymLowell

6 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Sounds good. I like your review :) Thanks for putting this on my radar.

Sniffly Kitty said...

I've seen this book around but wasn't sure if it was good or not. I'm glad it is ^.^

Not Everyone's Mama said...

That looks really good! I'll be this on my TBR list for myself and my son.

Allison said...

Good review! This sounds like an interesting book. I will be adding it to my TBR list! Came over from Cym's Blog.

Cym Lowell said...

Elie-
I love your blog layout!! Nice job!

Also, a great price on the ebooks. Thanks for pointing that out :)

-CYM

AngelicNytmare said...

I've seen this book a couple of times it's looks interesting and the title sounds neat.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.