Tuesday, January 25, 2011

YA Review: Tell Me A Secret

Tell me a secret, and I'll tell you one…

In the five years since her bad-girl sister Xanda’s death, Miranda Mathison has wondered about the secret her sister took to the grave, and what really happened the night she died. Now, just as Miranda is on the cusp of her dreams—a best friend to unlock her sister’s world, a ticket to art school, and a boyfriend to fly her away from it all—Miranda has a secret all her own.

Then two lines on a pregnancy test confirm her worst fears. Stripped of her former life, Miranda must make a choice with tremendous consequences and finally face her sister’s demons and her own.

In this powerful debut novel, stunning new talent Holly Cupala illuminates the dark struggle of a girl who must let go of her past to find a way into her own future.(goodreads)

My thoughts...This was one of those books I was not sure if I wanted to read. I knew going in that the subject matter was going to be heavy, there were going to be tears shed, and that if not told artfully, the story could just be depressing. Well, I was right on several aspects.


First, the story was about a really tough topic. Teen pregnancy is something that effects many teens each year. The reactions of the teen involved and her peers is believable, which made the story more enjoyable. Her friends in the story were horrible and cruel. I felt bad for Miranda.  That brings me to the second point, tears. This book absolutely brought me to tears. It was heart-wrenching, especially as a mother. This would be a great book for families to read together and discuss afterwords. Lastly, the writing. The story was very well written. It was smart, articulate, passionate, and emotional. It had me smiling from ear-to-ear and crying my eyes out. I really enjoyed it.

For more information, including purchase links, visit Holly Cupala at her website.

*I borrowed this book from my library.

3 comments:

Khadija said...

I've had my eye on this one for a while now. It looks and sounds great and it's been getting amazing reviews. :)

www.blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com

Jenny N. said...

Tell Me a Secret was such a emotional read for me and I think I ended up crying through half the book.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

I absolutely love when a book moves me this way. I've had this on my shelf for like ever. I keep waiting for the courage to cry. In short: I'm a ninny and I better get to reading :)

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.