Wednesday, February 9, 2011

YA review: Darkness Becomes Her

Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.

Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.

She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.

Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed. (goodreads)

My thoughts...Brilliant storytelling, a kick-butt heroine, paranormal beings, and edge of your seat action are all the ingredients needed to make this debut hit by Kelly Keaton. I loved this book!

I instantly liked the heroine Ari. She is smart, strong, determined, and very unique. Her silver hair and teal eyes make her stand out like a sore thumb, until she enters New 2. Here she meets some people that think her peculiarities make her special, not just different. The supporting characters will steal your heart, especially little Violet. I look forward to reading more about these characters in future books.

Darkness Becomes Her offers reads tons of action and a touch of romance. I am going to be vague, because I don't want to give anything away, but I will say the ending really surprized me. Looking back, there were clues, but I was so involved in the story, I didn't figure it out until the very end. The ending did wrap up the current story, but left plenty of room for more action. I will be reading more in this series.

*On a side note, the advanced readers copy had a decent amount of language, as you may have read in other reviews. In a recent conversation, Kelly mentioned that much of the language was cut out of the final version. With that update, this book is perfect for teen readers and those readers young at heart.

For more information, visit Kelly Keaton at her website. She can also be found on Facebook. Darkness becomes her releases February 22, 2011 and while not titled yet, there will be a second book in the series!
CymLowell

12 comments:

Sandy said...

Glad to hear you loved it, I just saw this on someone else WoW where I read the synopsis for the first time and had to instantly add it to my TBR. Now your review has bumped it up ^_^.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Great review and thanks for the note on the language thing. I wonder if they do that often.

:)

Mishel (P.S. I Love Books) said...

Thanks for the excellent review. Darkness Becomes Her sounds great! I myself don't mind harsh language...as long as its not excessively used. Thanks for the heads up on that. =)

Rabid Fox said...

Popped over from Cym Lowell's blog. I like the title of this book, and it does sound interesting.

As for language, I am often amazed at how publishers and even authors think teens can't handle some rough language. Maybe it's because I grew up around salty dogs that cursed blue streaks, and I'm a bit desensitized to the cusses. Oh well.

Kelly Gay said...

Elie!! Yay! I'm so glad you liked the book. :D And thanks for mentioning the changes too!

And, yep, Julie, it's not at all uncommon to make changes between the ARC version and the final version. ARCs are often printed after copy edits, but before galleys or 'first pass' pages (which is basically an author's final pass/proofread to catch any errors or make any last minute changes). I realized during this final read-through that the language was heavier than it should be, so I was able to fix it and make it more balanced. :-)

Kelly

Kelly Gay said...

Ack. Meant to say 'Juju' and did Julie instead... *sigh* Sorry 'bout that!

Penelope Lolohea said...

Great review! This books sounds like something I might like. Plus, I'm glad to hear about the language being narrowed out; I hate when there's too much!

Amelia said...

Hey Elie! I definitely agree - the ending was really cool/unexpected. And I am SOOO GLAD you mentioned the thing about Kelly talking about language getting cut. I will definitely remember that when I make my review - don't want to talk about something if it's not even an issue, lol.

Elizabeth said...

Haven't read this book...thanks for the review.

Dropping by from Cym Lowell's Book Party.

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

fantasybookchick said...

Congratulations! You are among the stylish bloggers picked to receive the Stylish Blogger Award from Fantasybookchick http://fantasybookchick.blogspot.com/2011/02/stylish-blogger-award.html

the epic rat said...

Interesting sidenote on the language edit - I did wonder about that! Not that I mind, but it isn't usually so noticeable while I read!

I loved this book too! :) I immediately had to run out and grab her other non-YA books :P

Lori said...

I really loved this one too! It is one of the best paranormal YA's I have read in awhile. I think the author did a fantastic job of bringing the butt kicking style of adult UF to YA!!
Fantastic review!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.