Tuesday, February 1, 2011

YA review: The Lipstick Laws

At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is the queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life with a snap of perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her. For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. April is so unpopular, kids don't even know she exists. But one lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity. But Britney's friendship comes with a high price tag. How much is April willing to pay?(goodreads)

My thoughts...This debut by Amy Holder will appeal to fans of ChickLit and younger YA readers. The story reminds me of the movie Mean Girls. There is a really pretty, popular girl who rules the school. Boys love her, and the girls love to adore her, but also fear her. April finds herself in the right place at the right time, gets noticed by Britney, and is suddenly immersed into the land of the beautiful people. Of course, pretty and popular don't equate to sweet and kind, so the drama unfolds, leaving April with a dilema.


The pros...The story is very fast paced laced with plenty of humor. There is a moral to the story and I think this would be a good book to be used for discussions with teens about peer pressure and the need to fit-in with their peers.  While many of today's teens are not wearing runway fashions or designer shoes, the issues are the same. I think Amy Holder did a good job of writing these issues using humor and a bit of romance.


The cons...While I enjoyed the style of writing and the humor in the story, the characters fell short for me. While I can normally relate to YA stories, this one was too young for me. The characters were too shallow for me to enjoy. 

This may not have been a hit for me, but it was for these reviewers:
Princess Bookie gave it 4/5 stars
Brooke Dillon gave it 5/5 stars
Lauren (Lauren's Crammed Bookshelf) gave it 5/5 stars

For more information, visit Amy Holder at her website. The Lipstick Laws will be released, follow this link to preorder from Amazon.

*E-Arc received from NetGalley.

6 comments:

Cari said...

I'm looking forward to this one.

the epic rat said...

This is on my TBR pile! It sounds like it would make for a perfect rainy day read when I don't want a "serious" book.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Good to know. Sounds like one I might pass on. Great review :)

Jenny N. said...

I like the sound of the story but am afraid it might be too young for me too. I still might read this and decide for myself.

Jessica Lawlor said...

I like how you include other bloggers reviews who enjoyed the book...very nice!

I enjoyed this one for sure, but I can see what you mean about it feeling a bit young. I agree that it's a great book to get teens talking about peer pressure, etc.

Rebecca said...

Great review. I may give this book a miss as it doesn't sound like my kind of book.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.