Thursday, February 3, 2011

YA review: XVI

Nina Oberon's life is pretty normal: she hangs out with her best friend, Sandy, and their crew, goes to school, plays with her little sister, Dee. But Nina is 15. And like all girls she'll receive a Governing Council-ordered tattoo on her 16th birthday. XVI. Those three letters will be branded on her wrist, announcing to all the world—even the most predatory of men—that she is ready for sex. Considered easy prey by some, portrayed by the Media as sluts who ask for attacks, becoming a "sex-teen" is Nina's worst fear. That is, until right before her birthday, when Nina's mom is brutally attacked. With her dying breaths, she reveals to Nina a shocking truth about her past—one that destroys everything Nina thought she knew. Now, alone but for her sister, Nina must try to discover who she really is, all the while staying one step ahead of her mother's killer. (goodreads)

My thoughts...I have not read many dystopian novels, but this one stands out among them. It had all of the elements I expected: fear, fantasy, and a fresh voice. That fresh voice comes from Julia Karr. Her YA debut will have you questioning the society these characters live in.


There are several plots in this story. The one that attracts the most attention is the sex. Women (girls) are not treated very justly and are branded when they turn 16. At this point, they are available for sex. The idea of this uncomfortable for me.  However, I expect this out of dystopian; it is unimaginable compared to the world we live in. Another plot was the resistance to government. I really enjoyed this aspect of the story. The secret organizations, the sneaking around, the spies, and that question of who can be trusted really kept me turning the pages.


The characters were likable and interesting. The heroine, Nina, seems to have good morals and she sticks to them. There is a love interest for her, but this boy seems to have a few secrets of his own. My favorite character in the book was Wei. She stands tall, has a strong voice, and kick some serious butt!


Overall, I really enjoyed XVI and I will definitely be watching for more by Julia Karr!

For more information, visit Julia Karr at her website.

*Review part of Presenting Lenore's Dystopian February

6 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

This sounds good.

I'm surprised by the sudden influx of stories with this kind of them. Isn't Wither like this?

Elie said...

Not sure, I know Wither is dystopian, but I have been avoiding book summaries and some reviews. Lots of dystian books coming out.

Khadija said...

Really liked you're review and I completly agree! I finished reading and reviewing this one last week and loved it, not only is it a great read it's also an important one. Julia is such a cool person too! :)

Was Wither dystopian? I didn't think it was considered dystopian...it is an amazing book too though, although the subjects in XVI and Willow are both vastly different.

http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

Alexia561 said...

Enjoyed your review! I have this one in my TBR pile and am really looking forward to reading it!

Misty said...

This came in my mailbox today! So excited! :)

Tristan said...

This book sounds good! I have it on my TBR list but have not had the chance to read it yet.. Glad to hear you liked it!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.