Wednesday, March 30, 2011

YA review: Divergent

Divergent
by, Veronica Roth
May 3rd 2011
HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen Books


One choice

One choice decides your friends, defines your beliefs, and determines your loyalties . . . forever.

Or, one choice can transform you.

In Veronica Roth's debut novel, Divergent, a perfect society unfolds into a dystopian world of electrifying decisions, stunning consequences, heartbreaking betrayals, and unexpected romance. (goodreads)

My thoughts....Wow, Divergent is perhaps one of the most intense, edge-of-your-seat, heart stopping books I have ever read. I got a huge adrenalin rush just reading it.


I devoured this book. The advanced reader's copy came in just shy of 500 pages and I could not turn them quick enough. Divergent introduces readers to a world where society is divided into factions. You are born into a faction, then once you reach your sixteenth birthday, you have the difficult choice of staying with your family and current lifestyle, or leaving it behind to join another. Sounds easy, right? As fans of dystopian literature know, nothing is ever easy. The heroine, Beatrice, learns this the hard way.


This book is centered around society and the characters' positions within the society. Readers will meet some people who they would want to call their friends, and others that make you want to watch your back. The heroine, Beatrice is incredibly strong. Her bravery and commitment take readers on a wild ride.


Divergent in non-stop action. Roth's writing takes readers to the edge and leaves them gasping for air. The world building leaves a vivid image. The plot keeps readers on their toes trying to answer questions. There is also a touch of innocent romance. Definitely something for everyone.


Read this book, you will not be disappointed.

For more information, visit Veronica Roth at her blog. Follow this link to purchase Divergent from your favorite bookseller.

*This arc was provided by the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion.

CymLowell

8 comments:

Christie - The Fiction Enthusiast said...

I keep hearing how amazing this book is. So glad reviews are confirming the hype :) Well done world building is a must have for me, so I hope I’ll love Divergent. Thanks for the great review!

Jessi E. (The Elliott Review) said...

This book is just amazing! So far it is one of my top reads for 2011!!! LOVE IT! I cannot get enough of Four. *squee*

Liz. R said...

I absolutely adore this book. Completely agree about the adrenaline rush - and I just could not read this book fast enough! I'm so glad you liked it - now the torturous wait for the sequel!

Danny said...

I cannot agree with you more. I absolutely adored Divergent and can't wait for the next one.

It was intense, but absolutely great! one of the best Dystopian novels I've read!

fredamans said...

Looks awesome!!! Great review, makes me want it more!!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I'm starting to see people wanting this book, but wasn't really sure about it. I think it sounds like a great read! Thank you so much for the early review. :)

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

I cannot wait to read this one! Dystopians can easily disappoint if the world-building isn't done right, but Divergent sounds like it covers all aspects perfectly. Great review!

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

A raving review. I need this

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.