Friday, March 18, 2011

YA review: The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing
by, Christina Mandelski
May 10, 2011 (Egmont USA)


In the world of Sheridan Wells, life is perfect when she's decorating a cake. Unfortunately everything else is a complete mess: her mom ran off years ago, her dad is more interested in his restaurant, and the idea of a boyfriend is laughable.
But Sheridan is convinced finding her mom will solve all her problems - only her dad's about to get a cooking show in New York, which means her dream of a perfect family will be dashed.

Using just the right amount of romance, family drama, and cute boys, The Sweetest Thing will entice fans with its perfect mixture of girl-friendly ingredients.(goodreads)

My thoughts...If you are looking for a sweet, young adult contemporary story, then look no further.

Readers meet Sheridan, also know as "Cake Girl", and quickly identify her as a regular girl. Sheridan is an average girl who I found very easy to like and easy to relate to. She is raised by her Father, a well-known chef, and her Grandmother, a popular baker. It is not a perfect situation, but one that many readers will sympathize with. The only character missing from this equation is her mother, who is the object of Sheridan's obsession. Readers journey with Sheridan on her quest to find her mother, which is no easy task. Her best friend Jack helps her along the way, but she still gets lost and inevitably, someone gets hurt.

The Sweetest Thing is a heart-warming story. Aside from lovable characters, the story will make readers laugh and cry. I often became frustrated with some of the characters actions, but they were honest mistakes. While lighthearted, the story deals with some tough, emotional issues.

Readers beware, especially if you have a sweet-tooth. Sheridan isn't named "Cake Girl" for no reason. The story is full of imaginative cakes and other fancy cooking. This is a fun, quick read for readers of all ages.

For more information, visit Christina Mandelski at her official website or find her at Goodreads.

7 comments:

I Eat Words said...

I'm a sucker for sweet contemps! This is on my TBR list. You're reading Bumped! I finished last week--you'll have to tell me what you think! I was like, NOO WHATTT?! At most of the parts. Haha. New follower, btw! Awesome blog :)

YA Book Queen said...

This sounds like a fun read! Great review, Elie :D

Blueicegal ♥ said...

I have to be honest here. If I saw the book in my local bookstore I would be tempted to pick it up because of the cover. It sounds good though. :P

Nina said...

Cake Girl, what a fun nickname. :) I really like the sound of this sweet story. Such a fun light and easy book for the summer. Great review.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

I tend to love sweet foodie related tales. Great review :)

Lazy Girl said...

Ah that sounds so cute! Thanks for this review. And I love your header!

vvb32 reads said...

cute cover. i like the sounds of fancy cooking.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.