Thursday, October 13, 2011

YA review: The Death Catchers

On her fourteenth Halloween, Lizzy Mortimer sees her first death-specter.

Confused at first, Lizzy soon learns from her grandmother Bizzy that as Death Catchers, they must prevent fate from taking its course when an unjust death is planned-a mission that has been passed down from their ancestor, Morgan le Fay. Only, Lizzy doesn't expect one of her first cases to land her in the middle of a feud older than time between Morgan le Fay and her sister Vivienne le Mort. Vivienne hopes to hasten the end of the world by preventing Lizzy from saving King Arthur's last descendant-humanity's greatest hope for survival. It's up to Lizzy, as Morgan's earthly advocate, to outwit fate before it's too late.

With its unique spin on Arthurian legend, this fresh, smartly written story will stand out in the paranormal genre. (goodreads)

My thoughts...The Death Catchers was an unexpected surprise for me for several reasons. First, I did not read the summary prior to reading, so I did not know this was a tale based on an old story. Secondly, I really enjoyed the characters. Lizzy, the heroine finds herself in a few precarious situations and her emotions felt very real. I understood what she was feeling and sympathized with her often. Bizzy, her grandmother, had great character and added a hint of humor the the story. This memorable character was written so vividly, I could imagine meeting her.

The Death Catchers was a fast-paced story. It was not overrun with subplots, dialogue, or endless rambling. I enjoyed Kogler's writing style. She used vivid language and kept me engaged.  I enjoyed the romance that brewed between Lizzy and Drake. It was written in an innocent way that built-up, allowing the reader to be part of the relationship. Another aspect of the story worth mentioning is the method of storytelling. The format is done letter form (Lizzy addressing her teacher, Mrs. Tweedy).  Overall, the whole story was very well done. I will be looking for more from this author!

For more information, visit Jennifer at her official website.

*ARC provided by publisher for review.

1 comments:

Ari (Reading After Midnight) said...

This sounds interesting and I should check it out.
I rarely read a book without reading a bit about it, but I love when a book surprises me :)

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.