Tuesday, March 13, 2012

YA review: Burned


Burned Burned (House of Night #7)
When friends stop trusting each other, Darkness is there to fan the flames

T
hings have turned black at the House of Night. Zoey Redbird's soul has shattered. With everything she's ever stood for falling apart, and a broken heart making her want to stay in the Otherworld forever, Zoey's fading fast. It's seeming more and more doubtful that she will be able pull herself back together in time to rejoin her friends and set the world to rights. As the only living person who can reach her, Stark must find a way to get to her. But how? He will have to die to do so, the Vampyre High Council stipulates. And then Zoey will give up for sure. There are only 7 days left.

Enter BFF Stevie Rae. She wants to help Z but she has massive problems of her own. The rogue Red Fledglings are acting up, and this time not even Stevie Rae can protect them from the consequences. Her kinda boyfriend, Dallas, is sweet but too nosy for his own good. The truth is, Stevie Rae's hiding a secret that might be the key to getting Zoey home - but also threatens to explode her whole world.

In the middle of the whole mess is Aphrodite:
ex-Fledgling, trust-fund baby, total hag from Hell (and proud of it). She's always been blessed (if you could call it that) with visions that can reveal the future, but now it seems Nyx has decided to speak through her with the goddess's own voice, whether she wants it or not. Aphrodite's loyalty can swing a lot of different ways, but right now Zoey's fate hangs in the balance.

Three girls...playing with fire...if they don't watch out, everyone will get Burned.(goodreads)


My thoughts...This is going to be a quick one because I read the last three books in a row and they have melted together in my brain.

THE GOOD... I am continually impressed with the world-building in these books. The Cast duo created a very complex world magic with many twists and turns. As a fan of the series, it is easy for me to jump back in and immediately get drawn into the character's lives.

The characters by this point have gone through quiet a few changes. They have grown, developed, acquired new and challenging abilities, and had their fair share of drama. Will this group ever get a break? Burned gives readers a chance to learn more about their favorites, even develop some new ones!

THE REST... I am not going to say bad, because I devour these books, even when I become annoyed with the story. I enjoyed Burned (and the following two novels), however, things are getting freaky in the land of House of Night. And by freaky I mean... ewwww gross. Thank goodness the details are not graphic or else I would have to officially quit.

I did find a few of the characters to be a bit annoying. After all the heinous crimes these kids have experienced, I expected them to be a bit more mature and reasonable in their decisions. They are not middle school children, they are basically adults. As someone who works with teens on a regular basis, their behavior seems immature. As I said before though, I am griping, but I still find myself sucked in every time their is a new installment. As Zoey would say... Ah Hell.

For more information, visit the House of Night official website.

Thought this quiz was fun... What's your affinity? I have an affinity for air.

CymLowell

0 comments:

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.