Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Book Chat: ARCed off


In a recent post by Elemental author, Emily White, it was brought to my attention that there were some ARCS for sale on ebay. This makes me hang my head in disgust.

I have been running this blog and reviewing since 2009. In that time I have developed a strong appreciation for the process of books, as most of us have. There are many hands at work in this process and many people are affected by the violation of the ARC privilege.

Most of us realize the honor it is to be able to review a book for an author or publisher. Selling ARCS not only hurts the authors and publishers, it hurts reviewers too. For what, a few bucks? If you read an ARC and don't want it anymore, give it to another reviewer, give it to your public librarian for review, or the librarian for a school library. Don't sell it, and quite simply, it's illegal.

Since we don't have the power to slowly torture the culprits, we can at least help stop the sale of these ARCS. Here is the list provided by Emily. Notify the authors, email ebay, or do whatever you can to stop these people from their unfortunate acts.

Crewel, by Gennifer Albin
Prodigy, by Marie Lu
Fathomless, by Jackson Pearce
The Spindlers, by Lauren Oliver
Ashen Winter, by Mike Mullin
Wake, by Amanda Hocking
The Diviners, by Libba Bray

What are your thoughts? If you agree, any good ideas on ways to torture the perpetrators? All joking aside, please list any other ARCS you have seen for sale to help spread the word.

10 comments:

Elie said...

also found...
a want so wicked by Suzanne Young
Intentions by Deborah Heiligman
The Stone Girl by Alyssa B. Sheinmel

Chey said...

This has come to my attention last week, too, though I can't remember which blogger posted it. I follow too many. :P

Anyways, after that I went on and searched eBay and found so many it made my disgusted head spin. Not only new ones, but old ones too.

I believe that Gennifer Albin has been notified. A few fellow bloggers mentioned it to her on twitter and she pretty much went "eh, what can you do" because that is pretty much all you can do. As frustrating as it is, people (who are mostly booksellers) will always sell ARCs.

Elie said...

There are so many readers who would love those arcs and not abuse them.

Donna @ Bites said...

They can be reported if they're on eBay. Just report them constantly. That should get attention.

Bookworm1858 said...

I'm confused about how to report; I see where to click "Report an Item" but then I'm not sure what category to choose. Can anyone tell me what categories they're reporting under?

Gennifer Albin said...

Thanks for the shout-out. I went ahead and contacted eBay and they make it ridiculously frustrating to get the ARC off there. So we shall see.

It's funny, people at BEA asked for ARCs with just my signature and no personalization, and if you went to my signing you know I went out of my way to ask peoples names, so I have a very good idea who is selling them. Alas, I'll be sure to personalize for them in the future ;)

Elie said...

Bookworm I was confused too but ended up clicking copyright and trademark, bootleg records, unauthorized copies. This may not be correct, I just hope it brings attention to the items and ebay recognizes them as arcs.

Elie said...

Gennifer, I really hope they stop them, maybe the fact that people are talking about it will scare them away.

CurlingUpBy TheFire said...

I stopped purchasing used books from a book store I used to frequent because they sell ARC's and refuse to stop selling them. When I mentioned it was illegal, the bookstore owner couldn't have cared less. So I have been passing the message along by word of mouth and most of us who review no long purchase books there. I was Not impressed.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

So wrong.
I could not agree more.
Heinous.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.