Tuesday, June 19, 2012

YA review: Elemental

Elemental (Elemental Trilogy #1)
by, Emily White
June 5, 2012
Spencer Hill Press

Just because Ella can burn someone to the ground with her mind doesn't mean she should.

But she wants to.

For ten years—ever since she was a small child—Ella has been held prisoner on an interstellar starship. Now that she has escaped, she needs answers.

Who is she? Why was she taken? And who is the boy with the beautiful green eyes who haunts her memories?

Is Ella the prophesied Destructor… or will she be the one who's destroyed?(goodreads)

My thoughts...Elemental is a young adult story that is part science fiction, part paranormal, and the rest twisted love tale. I was pleasantly surprised at the pace in which the story moved, the complexity of the characters and the amount of world building done in just 180 short pages (ARC length).

In the beginning, readers meet Ella, who has spent the last 10 years of her life in a small cell guarded by beasts of the human and animal variety. The action begins immediately when she is mysteriously freed and flees for safety.

She encounters other characters who leave readers questioning their motives and trustworthiness. Fortunately, this the the first in a series, so readers can anticipate more character building and background on key people. Ella herself was quite complex. While bits and pieces of her life are revealed, there was still much to discover about her past and future.

I was surprised by the pace of the story. It moved rapidly and kept me intrigued, despite the fact that I am not a big sci-fi fan. I did become a bit confused with the origins of the people. There were several groups from various galaxies which blurred in my mind. My confusion did not affect my understanding of the story. I hope future books provide more insight into White's world.

Elemental has a hint of budding romance. Other than some kissing, it is clean enough for young readers. There was some mild violence, nothing too graphic.

Overall, Elemental was a great read. I was surprised how quickly I was drawn into the story. I really had a hard time putting it down! Book two, titled Fae, is scheduled to be released in 2013 from Spencer Hill Press.

For more information, find Emily White at goodreads or on her blog!

CymLowell

4 comments:

Emily White said...

Oh yay! I'm so glad you liked it! :)

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

yay for ELEMENTAL!!!

Elie said...

Fantastic story! Can't wait for book #2

Rachel Naddeo said...

Great review! I've been thinking about reading this one but wasn't sure if it was my type of book. After reading your review, I'm certainly giving this one a chance :)

Rachel @ Books to Consider

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.