Thursday, July 12, 2012

Review: Twice Bitten


Twice Bitten
by, Chloe Neill
Chicagoland Vampires #3
July 6, 2010

Shapeshifters from across the country are convening in the Windy City, and as a gesture of peace, Master Vampire Ethan Sullivan has offered their leader a very special bodyguard: Merit, Chicago's newest vampire. Merit is supposed to protect the Alpha, Gabriel Keene-and to spy for the vamps while she's at it. Oh, and luckily Ethan's offering some steamy, one-on-one combat training sessions to help her prepare for the mission.

Unfortunately, someone is gunning for Gabriel, and Merit soon finds herself in the line of fire. She'll need all the help she can get to track down the would-be assassin, but everywhere she turns, there are rising tensions between supernaturals-not least between her and a certain green-eyed, centuries-old master vampire.  (goodreads)
My thoughts...It has been a while since I read the previous book.  I had a really hard time getting back into Neill's world, so I am going to stick to my notes.

The characters in Neill's world are interesting, well-developed, and sexy. They are people you would want to sit down and have a drink with one evening. Twice Bitten introduced a whole new cast of characters to keep the story fresh. I loved the shapeshifters role in this book. They added a whole new level of mystery and urban fantasy.

The story line had plenty of punch as Neill's books usually do. Readers will swoon over the male characters, revel in the intense fight scenes and squeal at the steamy love scenes. For me, something was missing. There are plenty of hints as to where the story is going, but for me, this book just stalled. Merit experienced plenty of self growth. Her relationships received some clarity. I guess it was just missing that spark that makes me turn pages with a ferocity and dive right into the next book. However, I have not given up on the series. I know Neill is a great author and I will continue reading the series in hopes of finding that spark once again.

For more information on the Chicagoland series, visit Chloe Neill at her official website!

0 comments:

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.