Saturday, December 1, 2012

YA Review: The Iron King (mini)

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.(goodreads)


My thoughts...I have a (ahem) small stack of books on my shelf that I have not read yet. They are going to be good. Hundreds and hundreds of reviews can't all be wrong. So I let them sit, waiting for the perfect time to pounce. Well, I finally took the plunge into the world of Fey.
 
This is going to be quick, as half the world has already read these books.
 
1. I was a bit apprehensive at first. High fantasy is not my thing (despite trying many times). I love paranormal, but dragons, hordes of fairies, weird creatures, not so much. Although this did have MANY high fantasy elements, I did not feel locked in a never ending Dungeons and Dragons world. I account this to the writing. There were strong characters who kept it interesting. Also, the blending of worlds kept it interesting.
 
2. Love Triangle- arr... Can't the good guy ever catch a break? Yes, I know we all love the dark, brooding, bad boy, but come on. 
 
3. The Iron King was a page turner. There was plenty of action to keep me reading every free second.
 
4. The world building was fabulous as was the descriptive writing. I could vividly imagine the world and characters.
 
5. I loved the movie Labyrinth. This totally reminded me of a cross between Labyrinth and Alice in Wonderland.
 
6. MORE? YES! I am already 145 pages into The Iron Daughter. My only problem right now is that I don't have the other books on my shelf.

So if you have not read this yet. Read it. What are YOU waiting for?

For more information, visit Julie Kagawa at her website.

**UPDATE... To my utter joy I realized I DO have the next two books on my shelves. Maybe its time to reorganize and inventory.

1 comments:

Bookworm1858 said...

I was so reminded of Labyrinth while reading this-it was so weird. Overall this faerie story is not my favorite but I can see why people are so enthralled by it.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.